MadMom and Mutt

Friday, April 28, 2006

Hair-Raising

Well, so much for that. I've been letting Sadie off-lead when we go for our late-night walks. I've been careful. She's been responding wonderfully to concerted training. She's very eager to please and the idea of getting treats for something she already enjoys, well what could be closer to heaven? I won't let her off-lead before midnight and very much limit her area. She's not allowed behind any building except ours (which has nothing but steep hillside behind it). She's only allowed in a few grassy areas and the large area of the parking lot.

Tonight, I heard someone walk out the door in the 500 building, across the lot from us. I didn't know who it was and didn't see him for a bit so I thought he must have gone around to the laundry in back. I thought that until Sadie made a beeline over to him then halted. He had his German Shepherd with him. She's a lovely girl, smallish and delicate with beautiful coloring. But she and Sadie don't get along, as it is with most dogs of Sadie's size of larger.

The shepherd's owner is strange. No, this isn't the mean man with the creepy white sheherd who yells at his Rottie puppy in the 200 building. The guy from the 500 building seems shy, almost fragile. he barely talks, barely makes eye contact. I wouldn't be surprised to find out he's a high-functioning person with autism. And he loves and protects his dog! I felt so bad, even though I know Sadie was only going after her because of fear and probably wouldn't harm the shepherd.

The strange man checked his shepherd over very thoroughly. I gave some bumbling excuse about it being the only time she's able to run a bit. Now he hates me again and we'd recently made such progress. We'd actually had a brief conversation. Now he's going to look at me as that bad woman with the vicious dog that tried to kill his Blossom or Margie or Tink. So, we'll have to keep it to very late, keep a watch out for his truck, work more on "heel" and "come" and "stay."

I couldn't possibly yell at Sadie. She was only doing what came instinctively to her. She didn't harm the dog and I don't believe she meant to. She simply meant to say, "I'm tops here and you listen to me, not the other way around." It's only natural for her and not behavior that can be trained away. But I will have to keep an unnatural vigilence for anyone coming out and immediately lead Sadie before anything like this can happen again. If I get her before she sees the person or dog, that should work.

Damn, I hope he doesn't rat me out to the manager!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.