MadMom and Mutt

Sunday, May 14, 2006

11 Things I Loved About Today


I got to hold and play with my grandson while he was awake and alert. At one point, he smiled at the print on the wall over my shoulder. I know it was not responsive but reflexive. It still thrills me no end that my grandbaby has an instinct and a reflex to enable him to feel pleasure and express it.

I had a good weekend with my mother. We spent some time together, she got to meet her great-grandchild. We didn't argue. I was able to point out when she crossed a line. We didn't kill each other. All in all, a very productive weekend.

I came home from my trip, visiting the most beautiful baby on earth (see evidence, above) and walked into my beautiful garden. I got to putz around in the garden before it got dark, deadheading a few things, filling the bird feeders and trying to train my clematis up the trellis. I got to tell my flowers how beautiful they are. My garden is a little oasis from the world.

I got to see Jen hold her baby as an adoring mother does. It reminded me of how I felt about Michael when he was a baby. Is there a special bond between mothers and sons? I don't know. I felt there was with Mike and me and I feel there is with Jen and Brendan. That makes me happy.

I ate some killer, grocery store strawberry cheese cake for Mother's Day. Who would have thought the little Giant Eagle would have such fabulous baked goods.

We drove through only a few sprinkles and had sunshine around us by the time we got home.

I was able to wash some laundry. I took warm, soft towels out of the dryer and folded them perfectly. They look so lovely in the linen closet. Simple tasks I can do very well make me happy.

There is a pungent aroma of spring in the air, like damp, newly-turned earth, moisture, fertility, rebirth.

I called my son up when we were about an hour out of Pittsburgh and said, "We've decided we haven't had enough time with the baby yet so we're going to turn around at the Donegal exit and head back. I'm sure we can get a room for the night where we stayed and we'll be able to spend all evening and much of tomorrow with you guys and Brendan." Michael's response, after a considerable pause was, "For real?" I told him, no, it just seemed like something fun to call and tell him. He told me, "But, it's not April!" It was precious.

We ate breakfast with Mike and Jen and Brendan, al fresca.

I got to watch my son and daughter-in-law interact with their son. They are such loving parents and far more relaxed about it that I would have expected only a month into it. They seem to be doing great as a family. I am so happy my son is able to love his child as much as he does. I hope that was something I was able to foster in him. I hope he always loves his family as he did today.

I am a lucky mother.

Happy Mother's Day to you and all the mothers you love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.