MadMom and Mutt

Monday, May 15, 2006

Sadie's Home

Sadie lies at the other end of the couch, snoring her deepest snore. She is utterly content. Sadie's home.

I sprung her from the prison today. You know, the one where they make her lie in a small box all day and only take her out to walk once. You know, the one whose food she doesn't like and won't eat although it's the exact same thing she eats at home. You know, the place where she won't even eat a Greenie when offered. She must present the most pathetic image when she's at the kennel, or "the doggie retreat," as I prefer to refer to it.

It's not like there are strangers dealing with her. She is boarded there at least 3 or 4 times a year and the kennel is at her vet's. It's not as if they never pay any attention to her, although attention paid anywhere else is attention wasted, in Sadie's doggie mind. The kennel staff love her (what's not to love, after all?) and fuss over her whenever she comes in. Over weekends, the vet techs do some of the kennel work, feedings and such. These are people who really know Sadie and enjoy her.

But they are not Mom! It doesn't matter how sweet they are to her, Sadie will have none of this business of being apart from me. I appreciate the sentiment but really wish I could go away with a clear conscience, knowing Sadie was also having an enjoyable time.

So I picked her up this afternoon after I finished my ACLS recertification and she...was...a...madwoman! They informed me that she'd gotten through another boarding without developing diarrhea. Yay! That's three times in a row! Bet you never thought you'd see that news on the internet, huh? She whined and yipped in the car all the way home, very uncharacteristic of my Sadie. As soon as we got out of the car, she made a beeline for the grass for an explosive, borderline-loose, gaseous whopper. I think she must have held all her stool for the entire weekend, little bitch. (No, really, she's a bitch.) It doesn't seem to be continuing so I doubt we have a repeat of the rare, difficult to diagnose parasite she had last fall. No, it just seems like garden variety, "I've-been-holding-this-all-weekend-for-you" poop. Lucky me.

Seriously, I missed her a lot last night but could not pick her up by the 1 PM deadline yesterday and I was darn well going to see the grandboy on Mother's Day, if at all possible. So, Sadie and I both spent another lonely night apart. I'm surprised the world didn't careen off into space. I am awfully glad she's home now and she seems to need to replenish her sleep bank following her weekend imprisonment. We're both content and life is good all around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.