MadMom and Mutt

Friday, May 19, 2006

Spiritual Cruising

As usual, the first place I went this morning was Nurse Pam's. She led me to the very interesting Killing the Buddah. I love the blurb for their manifesto,

"Killing the Buddha is a religion magazine for people made anxious by churches..."

The full manifesto can be found here. What a great sentiment. I came through fundamental Christianity a couple of decades ago yet my belief in the possibility of a God and Christ as His spirit made flesh to walk among us remains intact. Over the course of 20 years, I still hold that seed inside me but its visage has changed. It doesn't matter if God is an omnipotent being on a throne in the firmament or the connection between all sentient beings and the capacity for compassion and empathy that connection creates. It's irrelevant if Christ was really the flesh-and-blood embodiment of that omnipotent God on earth or simply the kernel of truth within me that allows me to appreciate the beauty of the world around me. If this makes sense to you, Killing the Buddah is a place you might want to check out.

I particularly enjoyed Jesus and I Broke Up and My Holy Ghost People, having been there myself. No, I've never spoken in tongues but I have felt moved by the Holy Spirit while worshiping with a wonderful little congregation in southern New Jersey many years ago.

For another look at themes through the prism of varying religious perspectives, check out Parabola, a magazine I now pick up regularly. Beautiful words. Diverse points of view. Very much worth a look.

Enough, already! Let's see if I can get through someone else's blog without getting sidetracked...

Technorati tags: self-awareness / spirituality

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.